Sunday, December 16, 2012

Inspired by RenRen: Smoky Copper Eyes


Greetings loverlies,

Last Wednesday afternoon I was perusing makeup tutorials on youtube (as I often do) and came across this one from Makeup By Ren Ren.  I really liked it so I figured I'd give it a shot.  I don't normally follow along with tutorials, but I've been in a bit of a rut lately and needed to try something different.  I own the Nude 'Tude palette, but almost everything else had to be improvised.  I used the same colors she did...but my version turned out much more dramatic.  Probably because I'm vampirically pale and decided to go crazy and wing out the eyeshadow a bit (because why not?).  I don't really like wearing false lashes unless it's for a special occasion so I skipped 'em.  That and I always seem to stab myself in the eye when applying falsies.  Anyhoo, enough rambling, here's the outcome:

A bit too much flash in this one...
 Finding good lighting was proving quite difficult this night.  I basically had to put my face in the lamp and then try to take a photograph without blocking the light, sorry if the pictures don't look that amazing!



Not my favorite photo, but it shows how I *tried* to contour :)


I'm also testing out a bunch of products at this time (mostly samples).  I don't really like how the foundation looked in person; it just wasn't sitting right on my skin and turned out a bit too yellow.  I did really like how the eyeshadow looked with my eye color though!

Here's a list of the stoof I used:

Eyes:
bareMinerals Prime Time Eyelid Primer (in testing phase, it made blending a pain in the butt!)
theBalm Nude 'Tude palette - Sexy (all over lid and crease), Silly (lid close to lash line), Sultry (blend out lower lash line)
Youngblood pressed blush in Nectar and Bashful (blend out crease, Nectar was a bit too warm for me so I added Bashful)
Inglot eyeshadow in 373 (matte white - brow bone highlight)
Wet n' Wild cream liner in black
Inglot loose pigment in 77 (purple base with gold flash - my "glitter" for this look)
Anastasia brow powder duo in brunette
Tarte primer and mascara (also testing this out...not impressed thus far, it was clumpy and flakey)
MAC Fix+ (used with loose pigment)
Urban Decay 24/7 liner in Rockstar (lower lash line and water line)

Face:
Perfekt skin perfecting gel in Radiant (testing out as well, works pretty well as a primer)
MAC Face and Body in Y1 (just wanted a sheer foundation since the eyes are so dramatic)
Illamasqua Skin Base in 3.5 (I use this as a concealer)
MAC Mineralize Skin Finish in medium (used as a setting powder, only product I'm considered "medium"!)
Youngblood pressed blush in Nectar and Bashful (just to be congruent with the eyes)
Benefit Hoola (I tried contouring...a skill I'm still trying to cultivate)
MAC Extra Dimension Superb Highlighter

Lips:
Revlon lip butter in creme brulee


Have you ever followed along with a makeup tutorial?  How did it turn out?

7 comments:

  1. You did a good job with the hoola powder on your cheeks! It looks very natural!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The art of contouring has always eluded me. I've been trying to find the right color and technique! :)

      Delete
  2. Your eyes look so dramatically gorgeous! I don't think there were any girls in Engineering when I went to school that looked as hot as this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe *blushes* thank you! (Not something I'd wear to class lol) Still less than 10% female in my engineering classes usually, but there's more of us now! I love finding fellow nerdy beauty bloggers!

      Delete
    2. When I was in compsci, the classes were a little better, more like 25% female, but it's still an area where we need some girl power!

      Delete

Howdy! I'd love to "hear" from you!